Luz Valley, Gavarnie-Gèdre, Barèges-Tourmalet, Argelès-Gazost Valley and Val d’Azun, so many names that resonate like the promise of experiencing the best of the Pyrenees, in this preserved, authentic, lively corner of the mountains.
From the Luz valley to Barèges via Gavarnie-Gèdre, Argelès-Gazost, Cauterets and the Val d’Azun, this territory is full of nuggets. Here, the Great Occitanie Sites is next to with UNESCO sites. The International Starry Sky Reserve illuminates the Pyrenees National Park and nature reserves. All against a backdrop of spas, hikes and legendary routes taken by the greatest cyclists.
From their lakes to their summits, passing through their charming villages and cultural monuments, our mountains will not stop surprising you. They have this extraordinary power to change the way you live and see the world. When you come here, get ready to experience moments made up of striking landscapes, gourmet tastings, intense activities but also and above all exciting encounters with the women and men who bring life and shine to our pretty corner of the Pyrenees.
Welcome to our beautiful valley !
Must see sites
Gavarnie Imagine a glacial cirque at a height of 3,000 meters, at its heart one of the highest waterfalls in Europe (427 meters): you have Gavarnie Cirque ! Listed as a UNESCO, World Heritage site, it is also a gateway to the Pyrenees National Park.. Its two neighbours the Troumouse and Estaubé cirques are speechless when faced with so much beauty and such fantastic dimensions!
Find out more
We love :
– Visit the 3 Cirques: the cirques of Gavarnie, Troumouse and Estaubé offer exceptional landscapes in the heart of the Pyrenees National Park. With a Spanish side made up of large canyons and the Ordesa National Park, they form a unique cross-border site in the world on the UNESCO World Heritage List: the Pyrenees – Mont Perdu site.
– The guided tour of the Pragnères hydroelectric power station, to learn all about this emblematic place with its incredible history and operation. Virtual reality is now invited, for a new 2.0 experience!
– Immerse yourself in the spirit of Pyreneism, thanks to the Patrimoine en Balade app: let yourself be guided through the village to the sound of the testimonies of the inhabitants and their singing accent.
At the foot of the Tourmalet, the Barèges valley combines sporting activities with relaxing moments thanks to its thermal waters. The highest thermal centre,with waters that treat rheumatology and ORL ; Cieléo has a wellness area in addition to spa treatments. The hilltop villages of Sers, Betpouey, Viey and Viella are typical examples of mountain architecture.
– The Col du Tourmalet, known worldwide by Tour du France enthusiasts, and its panorama over the Barèges valley. We learn more about the preservation of the starry sky at the brand new Maison du Tourmalet – Pic du Midi.
– The Pic du Midi camped at 2,877 m above sea level, the most beautiful panorama of the Pyrenees chain, accessible by cable car, declared an International Starry Sky Reserve.
– The Neouvielle Reserve, dotted with lakes and ridges in a perfectly preserved high-mountain environment. A gold mine for photographers, a treat for walkers. The opportunity to sleep in the mountains at the brand new Aygues-Cluses refuge!
Dotted with pretty hilltop villages, the valley of Luz Saint-Sauveur immerses you in mountain life: from the unique flavours of the locally farmed produce to its authentic hosts and locals, to the sweetness of the sun’s rays which illuminate Luz (Spanish for “light”) and bathe its surrounding peaks in sunlight. This is a way of life!
On aime :
– Visit La Carde, which weaves, with unparalleled know-how, the wool of the sheep of the valley. Blankets, scarves, sweaters… Since 1891: 100% tradition, 100% local!
– Taste the AOP Barèges-Gavarnie sheeps: the ewes are free in the high mountains, which gives their meat its unique and delicate taste. At the end of September, an entire festive weekend is dedicated to him!
– Learn about art at Hang’art, which showcases the visual arts and contemporary creation through exhibitions offered in privileged collaboration with the Musée des Abattoirs de Toulouse.
At Pont d’Espagne, classified Grand Site Occitanie (Major site of Occitanie), you can immerse yourself in this site with its many waterfalls, hiking routes and mountain lake paths. Lac Gaube is undoubtedly the most well-known, accessible by chairlift or on foot.
– Bask in the naturally warm waters of the Bains du Rocher, in the indoor and outdoor pools, winter and summer.
– Visit the city and soak up its Belle Époque atmosphere, a legacy of the development of hydrotherapy which has largely shaped the skyline of the city center with its large hotels, its monumental facades with small details that bring an astonishing charm.
– Taste the Berlingots, small solid and multicolored sweets that come in all colors and all tastes.
Privileged holiday resort, Argelès-Gazost’s ideal and strategic location and its microclimate have always made it attractive to visitors. Its palm trees,its “English park” (parc à l’anglaise) with its large villas have afforded this beautiful spa town the nickname of “Little Nice”. Up above the town is Hautacam, of Tour de France fame, with its year round adventure park and breath-taking panoramas.
– Explore the regional nature reserve of Pibeste-Aoulhet, the largest in France, and observe a unique and incredibly rich flora and fauna.
– Hautacam, the 4-season mountain resort, with incredible panoramas: rolling bubble (descent in a plastic bubble), big air bag, giant slides, bicycles on zip lines… and its flagship activity, the Mountain Luge! A mountain of activities in all seasons.
– Le Jardin des Bains, the thermal spa, which puts the virtues of thermal water at the service of well-being, in a sumptuous setting, between glass roofs and wooden structures.
Let yourself be charmed by its authentic villages, poetic bridges, unspoilt nature, mountain lakes, barns and herds. Pastoralism is the soul of these mountains that change with the seasons and give Val d’Azun cheese its delicious fragrance of freedom.
– The Arrens-Marsous leisure center which welcomes young and old alike with fun and sporting activities: pump track, playground with zip line, tennis court, climbing wall, multi-sports ground, slackline, street workout. From now on, a via ferrata and climbing routes complete these activities on the Then site, from where you can enjoy a superb panorama.
– Visit a farm and taste the delicious cow, sheep or mixed cheese, made according to old recipes, which can also be found in the markets.
– Stroll through the streets of Arras-en-Lavedan, a village of Artitude punctuated with works of contemporary art, while enjoying the panorama of the Argelès-Gazost valley.
Rando Vallées de Gavarnie, the essential site for your hikes
Discover the most beautiful routes in the Gavarnie Valleys thanks to an intuitive and interactive site, dedicated to hiking in all its forms: hiking, trail, bike, mountain biking, gravel, climbing and via ferrata. You can refine your search by geographical area, elevation, difficulty and duration. Advantages ? Download free day or roaming itineraries, or consult the routes in offline mode, very practical in the mountains! Available as a PWA (Progressive Web App), it can display in full screen, load quickly and work offline. It is the essential hiking site for locals and holidaymakers alike!
See Rando Vallees de Gavarnie
En poursuivant votre navigation sur ce site, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies notamment pour réaliser des statistiques de visites,
pour vous proposer des services et des offres adaptés à vos centres d’intérêts, ainsi que des services de
partage et pour optimiser les fonctionnalités du site. Pour en savoir plus sur la protection de votre vie privée et paramétrer